Saturday, November 12, 2011

What I Learned Today

Today, I learned that I am still a novice when it comes to blocking large knit items. Yes, I made a sweet fisherman's sweater last year. I blocked it by hand, and I haven't actually washed it yet (but it's only been worn twice). I just finished a cute yellow cardigan, and was excited to block it. I used Cascade 220 Superwash yarn, so I could machine wash and dry my cardigan. However, I wasn't thinking, and put it in by itself. No nylon wash bag to keep it together, no towels or anything to take up space. As a result, my sweater is now sized for... A gorilla. It's giant.

After scouring the Internet, consulting a friend, and calling a yarn store, I had a plan of attack: I am supposed to fluff my sweater down to the size I want, and let it air dry. When it is almost completely dry, I should throw it in the dryer and pray for the best! The sweater is currently fluffed and drying in the dining room... I'll let you know how it turns out! And never will I ever throw a hand knit item in the washing machine by itself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment