Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Job Interviews

This past Monday, I had a job interview at a private school down in Virginia.  My M.A.T. program has done a lot of mock interviews this semester, but I'm always a little surprised at how different private school interviews are.  It's most like applying to college; the interview is a conversation where they are trying to sell their school just as much as you are trying to sell yourself.

I arrived Sunday evening just in time for a cook-off between faculty! There was all kinds of delicious food and I got to meet a lot of the faculty.  The school has a really young, energetic staff and they were really friendly.  Monday, I toured the school and taught 3 classes: Physical science, algebra I and honors physics. The classes went pretty well.  It was really different than my student teaching.  The largest class was 14 (smallest was 7), and the kids were much more into learning.

I had a great experience at the school I visited Monday, and I should hear back by the end of May!  Which brings me to one of my least favorite parts of the job hunt: Thank you notes.  They're awkward. Really awkward.  I never know what to say.  Here is where I put in a shameless plug for Shutterfly.  I ordered blank thank you cards from them last year, and they've been a lifesaver.  Simple and elegant, I pull one out whenever the need arises.  I've used them for thank you notes, birthday cards and even a baby shower!  Sending the thank you notes to this Virginia school will wipe out my stock, so I just ordered more (see below).  Note: I get $10 off my next Shutterfly order for doing this!  Bloggers take advantage!

Stationery Card
View the entire collection of cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment