Wednesday, April 20, 2011

State Testing

Much to my surprise, today's ASCD daily email included an article from one of my local newspapers: The Harrisburg Patriot-News!  The article discusses the emphasis put on state testing.

I can't remember if I've complained about state testing here yet.  Indiana has moved the multiple choice part of their state test (the ISTEP+) online.  This created a huge mess at my school.  Not only do we have to rearrange the school schedule so the kids can test, but we have to find a working computer for each child AND have a mandatory practice session.  Throw in a IT person who is practically impossible to get in touch with, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I contemplated doing some in class research this year on the effects of taking tests on computers.  Now, I really wish I had, so I could discuss my findings here.  State tests are stressful enough on their own.  Making kids take them on computers is just cruel.  The program seems outdated.  When I took the GRE online it was better than this, and that program was so old it assumed the taker might not know how to use a computer mouse!  If you'd like to experience the ISTEP, click here.  My students are in grade 8, so select 6-8.  Read about the tools, and then click "Start the test" at the top of the page.  This is take you to a log in screen.  Ignore the username and password, and simply click "log in" to begin.  Comment and let me know what you think about the ISTEP Experience!

2 comments:

  1. The little dancing person distracts me.

    The ruler sucks. Sucks sooooo bad.

    But overall, better than some things I can imagine. The x to say you think it's wrong is nice, as is the 'you are here' at the bottom.

    But it seems to load kinda slow, and I imagine this would piss of children who are stressed about the time limit anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you play with the highlighter? You can just re-highlight until the entire page is yellow! A lot of the teachers are worried the kids will get distracted playing around with the tools instead of using them.

    ReplyDelete