Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Book List 2012 Part II: Young Adult

I think part of why I enjoyed these young adult books so much was that they provided a nice break between the heavier books that I read. There's something really satisfying about finishing a book in a few hours! I should also point out that in no way am I trying to give serious book reviews. I don't feel qualified, and it's been a loooong time since I had to analyze my reading! I just want to give you a quick idea of what it was like, and hope that if you're interested you will follow up on your own.

Young Adult Books I Read in 2012:

The Hunger Game Series
(The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay)
Yes, these are for young adults. Yes, the main character gets annoying as the series progresses. But you should read at least the first book! The concept is really interesting, and it's a quick read. I love anything with a depressing, post-apocalyptic future, so this series won me over!

The Dark Is Rising Series
(Over Sea, Under Stone; The Dark is Rising; Greenwitch; The Grey King; Silver on the Tree)
I read these on the recommendation of a friend. It was one of her favorite series growing up, and I can see why! There are mysteries, good battling evil, and some fantasy. I enjoyed them at my present age, and I would have loooooved them as a child.

His Dark Materials Series
(The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass)
I honestly don't know how I missed reading these as a kid. My brother read them. A ton of my friends read them. At least I finally got around to it? I can see how inspiring they would be to a child, and I enjoyed the series (although the ending is pretty cheesy when you're 24). I have been told to NEVER watch the movie.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
KenyonCollegeKenyonCollegeKenyonCollege. I love my alma mater! Last year, two YA authors from Kenyon made the NYTimes best seller list at the same time. One of the books was this one. It's based on these old photographs that the author found, and I love the concept. Plus, KENYON.


No comments:

Post a Comment