Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Book List 2012 Part IV: Non-fiction

This list is pretty short. Like, 3 books short. Does this mean I should be reading more non-fiction books?

Non-fiction Books That I Read in 2012:

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress, by Rhoda Janzen
A memoir about how the author coped with a divorce and a devastating car accident. It was interesting, but didn't grab me as much as other memoirs.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns), by Mindy Kaling
I wasn't sure what to expect out of this book. I knew Mindy was an annoying character on The Office, but nothing else about her. I was really impressed to learn about her career. She did a great job of connecting anecdotes to form a cohesive book (as opposed to Tina Fey's book, which you could tell was written by a sketch writer). As yes, as a twentysomething girl, I could relate to it.

Moby-Duck: The True Story of 28,800 Bath Toys Lost at Sea and of the Beachcombers, Oceanographers, Environmentalists, and Fools, Including the Author, Who Went in Search of Them, by Donovan Hohn
I found this while I was browsing the NYTimes best sellers lists. Or maybe their Top 100 Books of 2011? Either way, it sounded interesting. And it is! The author explores everything that could have happened to the duck bath toys that fell overboard while crossing the ocean. EVERYTHING. From where they could have ended up, to the impact of disintegrating plastic in our oceans. This one is definitely worth checking out.





1 comment:

  1. Non-fiction always takes me longer to read. You have to, like, think about it and stuff. And read all the footnotes.

    ReplyDelete