Thursday, June 7, 2012

College Rugby Championship: 7s

This past weekend, I went to Philly to watch the college rugby championships for 7s. Sevens is a variation of rugby, where each team has 7 players, and they play two 7 minute halves. It is played on a full-sized pitch, so the focus is much more on running skills than on rucking. The playoffs included 16 men's teams. The play-offs are set up a lot of the World Cup: There are pools of them that play each other, and the winners of each pool enter a playoff bracket.

I wasn't sure what to expect, because I have only been to small college and high school games. I was very impressed! For many people, rugby and beer go hand-in-hand. The venue did not disappoint: There was beer everywhere. At the concession stands, in the sponsored beer garden, etc. People spent the whole weekend drinking. Yet, I never saw any fighting, vomiting, or out of control rugby fans. Part of what makes me love rugby is the level of respect: Between teams, players and referees, and the fans. While there was drinking, there were also kids everywhere. The weather was beautiful, and the fans allowed people of all ages to enjoy the tournament. I highly recommend it for any of you that live near Philly!

Sadly, I was too distracted by the games to take pictures. I only managed two: The beer garden and lovely bride to Delaware, and a super amazing bacon/egg/cheese everything bagel sandwich I got. Yum!



Also, today was the last day of school! I don't know what I'm going to do with all my spare time now...

No comments:

Post a Comment