Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Exciting News!

I haven't said anything about this yet, because I was afraid of jinxing it...  But I bought a loom! YAY!
Photo Courtesy of rspack on Ebay.com

I took an introductory weaving class in 2010, and was immediately hooked.  The problem was that I didn't start until spring of my senior year in college!  By the time I knew I liked it, I was graduating and moving out of state.  I looked into buying a loom, but they're extremely expensive.  New ones can easily be over $5,000, and even used ones comparable to the one I learned on are over $500.  Occasionally I would browse online for cheap looms, but never found any. Until last week.  I found this wonderful table-top loom.  It's smaller than most; I won't be able to weave anything wider than 20 inches.  I don't wear shawls through, so I'm going to focus on scarves.  And maybe throw pillows?

After finding it, I tried to research the maker.  Internet fail.  I couldn't find anything.  So I emailed my weaving instructor from last year.  She was wonderful.  She gave me her opinion on its condition, appropriate selling price, and where to buy the 1 part that its missing.  She even offered to send me some old weaving magazines!  After discussing it with her, I knew that I definitely wanted to buy the loom.

Then the waiting game started.  I had only bought one thing on eBay before, so I was nervous to bid.  I didn't want people to know I was looking at it.  My mom told me about Just Snipe, a website that waits to submit your bid until the last few seconds of the auction.  I signed up.

The auction just ended a few minutes ago, and I was the only bidder!  So I got this loom for $175 (+$40 S&H).  A steal.  My weaving instructor said her upper limit would be $350!!  Even after buying a $35 piece and some weaving books, I'll be way ahead.  Looms last for a long time, so I'm considering this an awesome investment / self-graduation present!  Expect lots of news of my weaving adventures this summer...

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a lot of fun Mel! Can't wrap my head around physics but I do understand the beauty and satisfaction of a creating!! I can't wait to see what you create.

    ReplyDelete