Sunday, May 15, 2011

Teacher Appreciation

Recently I was back in school, substitute teaching for one of my former mentor teachers.  During lunch I went down to the teacher lunch room, only to find it empty.  Another teacher walked by, informing me that it was teacher appreciation day, and that there was free lunch in the auditorium!  I went in to find a delicious spread of Fazoli's (a chain restaurant with Italian food, and amazing breadsticks) and home-made desserts.  Teachers could also sign up for massages that day.

As I student, I was not aware of Teacher Appreciation Day.  I only know it exists because of my mom's PTA involvement when I was younger.  I remember her putting together little gifts for the whole week to leave in teachers' mailboxes.  Wouldn't it be great if teacher appreciation was more prevalent in society?

NPR has a short (~4 minute) story about it.  Coincidentally, I only know of this story because it is by a fellow Kenyon College graduate!  Check out his story here.  And remember, it's always nice to say thank you.  I think a professor described teaching well when she said "it's one of the hardest professions out there...  You don't even get to choose when you are able to go to the bathroom!"

No comments:

Post a Comment