Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Technique: Picking/Throwing

I've always felt that I was a somewhat strange knitter.  I am left-handed, and use the continental technique to knit.  I also only learned how to incorporate tension about two years ago (don't ask).  This week, I went to my first knitting class!  I'll blog about it when I have a chance to take some pictures.  The instructor saw my technique and said, "Interesting... You still wrap your yarn."   She then proceeded to show me a technique called Picking, a faster and more efficient way to do continental knitting.  I'm excited to try it!  Basically instead of doing the wrapping motion, you use your right needle to catch and pull the yarn through your stitches.  I'm having a little difficulty finding videos that show the process, but here is one:

In other news, I ordered two reeds for my loom last week!  Hopefully they will come in soon so I can start playing with weaving.  Additionally, I am working on the MaryElla cuff (which I will post pictures of a little later).  Happy knitting!

1 comment:

  1. I knit backwards Mel but I am going to try this technique. ThanKs!

    ReplyDelete