Monday, May 28, 2012

DIY: Lace Earring Holder

How I told you how much I love Pinterest? There are so many recipe and craft ideas I've seen! This weekend, I brought one to life. Here's the inspiration (left) and my creation (right):
[Source}

I wish I could have found a really ornate frame, like in the inspiration. I could have searched used furniture stores for old mirrors... but I was impatient and wanted to start the project! I found this wooden frame at Michael's. It wasn't in the frame section. Or the wooden "things to paint" section. It was in some random section on the side of the store. My sister also made one, and they both turned out great!  Here's what you'll need:
- Wooden frame
- Paint and paint brushes (I used acrylic paint)
- Tape (to tape off designs)
- Lace
- Glue gun
- 3M Command Hook or other way to hang frame

1. Decide how you want to paint your frame. If needed, use painters tape to tape off your design. Note: I highly recommend this! I decided not to use tape, and ended up with some blue splotches I had to cover with my yellow paint. Also, my art school sister recommends Scotch brand Magic tape. It looks like scotch tape, but is better (somehow). Apparently it was unbelievable that I hadn't known about this tape before yesterday.

2. Paint your frame! I opted to paint the front and edges of my frame, while my sister decided to paint only the front, and keep the sides natural.

Notice the use of tape, ensuring a splotch-free frame...


I did two coats of blue, and three coats of yellow. The good thing about acrylic is that by the time I finished the first coat, it was dry and I could start the second coat right away!

Once your paint is completely dry, break out your hot glue gun. Decide how you want to hang your lace, and mark the back of your frame accordingly. I applied hot glue to the frame, pressed the lace down, and rolled a pencil over it to make sure it was snug to the frame. After it all dried, I went back and did a second layer of glue on top (am I paranoid? Maybe. But I don't want the lace to fall off when it's holding my earrings!).




Have you made anything from Pinterest? Make anything this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment