Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sunday Selections: King Solomon's Mines


Ever since I received my Kindle, I've been reading a lot.  Seriously, a lot. I've read over 20 books since 2012 began, so I've decided to started a new feature: Sunday Selections. Each Sunday, I will post what I'm currently reading. They will be short, sweet, and to the point (I know who in my family is the book reviewer... and it's not me!).

[Source]
Sunday Selections
Date: April 15, 2012
Book: King Solomon's Mines
Author: Sir H. Rider Haggard

In an attempt to read more classics, I have decided to go through and read all the books that have characters featured in the movie League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The books include The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Invisible Man, Dracula, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde. I wasn't sure where Sean Connery's character came from until I researched the movie (and the comic books it was based on). His character is Allan Quatermain, a British big game hunter. King Solomon's Mines was the first of many books featuring Quatermain, and is based in what is now known as South Africa. Quatermain joins a quest to find the lost diamond mines of King Solomon, and also to find the missing brother of one of his companions.

The book was written in the 1885, so I was a little worried about it being boring. It's actually been a fun read so far. It's always interesting to see how indigenous people are portrayed in old books like this (not very well), and just the daily customs of the British in the 1800s are so different from our own that I'm sucked in. My only complaint so far is that the book uses a fair amount of South African and Zulu slang. Or what I can assume is South African and Zulu slang, because my Kindle has no idea what most of the slang words are. There was one that was defined as slang, and so I'm assuming the rest are as well.

I'm over halfway through the book, and the adventurer's are getting close to where they think the diamonds are, so I'm excited to see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment